Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Enter the advanced search area by clicking the hamburger icon () in the upper left corner of the Google Scholar search page.
Searching in General
Enter your subject search terms in the top four boxes according to how you want the terms to be combined.
Searching by Author, Journal, or Phrase
Enter one or more names in the "return articles authored by" box to search for specific authors.
- Use quotation marks when searching for a first name or initials along with the last name to ensure all will appear in the same name. (e.g. "michale w collins" or "m w collins")
- Enter initials with or without a space between them. (e.g. "m w collins" or "mw collins")
- The order of the first and last name makes little difference to the search (e.g. "michael collins" or "collins michael")
Journal Title Search:
To return results from a particular journal or publication, enter the publication title as either:
- full title: Nature, Journal of Biological Chemistry, etc.
- abbreviation: J Biol Chem, Rev Educ Res, etc.
NOTE: Journal titles may be abbreviated in more than one way. Searching abbreviations will not return records with the full title, and vice versa. To be thorough, search both the full title and alternative forms of abbreviation:
- J Am Chem Soc; J Amer Chem Soc; Journal of the American Chemical Society; JACS
- Entering terms in the "with the exact phrase" box will search for the phrase exactly as it was entered.
- Use quotation marks in any other box to specify an exact phrase you want to search for or exclude
Use these tips (referred to as search operators) to help refine your search terms:
- the "-" operator
Excludes all results that include this search term (e.g. biomedicine -magnetic)
- the "~" operator
Will find synonyms for that word (e.g. ~robotics)
- the "OR" operator
Returns results that include either of your search terms (e.g. soccer OR football)
- phrase search
Only returns results that include this exact phrase in quotations (e.g. "attention deficit disorder")
- the "intitle:" operator
Only returns results that include your search term in the document's title (e.g. intitle:hack)
- the "author" operator
Returns papers written by people with the name searched (e.g. author:flowers)